January 17, 2007

Wating for a voicemail.....

I am in a long distance relationship for a looooong time now and believe me it is tough! The pros of long distance relationship, as given by various websites and ‘start being happy’ kinda books are BS! The choice of staying away for me is due to the first priority given to career…..but is it really worth it I ask myself many many times.

This is how my typically day usually is (thanks to the great free minutes that cell phone providers give me…)

8.30 am : Me calling…..tring tring tring….no answer…leave voice mail….msg sounds something like this “Hi honey! Good Morning! Naan ippo avasarama kilambaren….labula signal edukathu…so will call u sometime during the day……love u!”

10.00 am: Check voice mail…… “Sorry sweetie! Missed your call…was in the shower……will catch u during the day. Have a nice day!”

Try calling…tring tring…no answer …leave voice mail

Noon: Another voice mail from him….Try calling again …..tring tring…

Here you can add another couple of voice mails from both sides…….

7.00 pm: Me calling again.... tring tring… yeh! finally I catch him.......to summarize the 5 min conversation……he is cooking/ he is in the gym/ he is still at work...so got to talk later……this happens with me when I am engaged with other things too…

11.40 pm: Mission impossibe tune starts playing…this is my phone ringing now….finally we talk for say 10 mins…catch up on the main events of the day….both of us too tried to stay awake….miss sharing the small events like the ice-cream I ate, the shoe he bought, how mean my boss was to me, how he saw this full fgiure girl (yes his eyes still wanders), the joke I loved on Scrubs etc etc……

And another day ends!

Other than phone calls, emails and scraps are exchanged but nothing like talking right? And ofcourse setting up a time to talk everyday uninterrupted works for a few days and back to old habits again!

Why am I pulambufying so much? Coz my dear readers, do not get to into a long distance and if you do….keep the time spent that way very short. Ennoda unwarranted advice ithu!

And despite listening to his annoying gruff voicemail atleast 10 times everyday, I forgive him (and he forgives me) as soon as I hear his voice!

9 comments:

Kavitha Jay said...

aww..thats a very cute post kirrukal after a long long time...yea i agree with u that long distance relationships are very hard...but some ppl actually like those kinda relationships...like the every day fight..missing eachother..waiting for his call..so it all depends...personally i dont like it..:)..

Kirukal said...

Aamam Kavi..post after a long time..got caught up with work. Thanks for visiting!
Yeah pros and cons to evrything....to me in this canse the cons seem to rule!

Heidi Kris said...

welcome back :) There is nothing like being near to our dear ones. But its nice to know that atleast you make it a point to call daily. Getting too much into work aint good for relationships. Quality time surely needs to be spent with dear ones. Not sure if its true in every case or not.. still in 90% of the cases the saying "Out of sight, out of mind" holds good. :(

KK said...

Nice post!! Not sure if I will be agreeing with you 100% but at the same time I don't deny what you say too :)
Long distance is tough but with good understanding between the couple it surely works.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirukkals,

Nice post.

Add to the "Long distance relationship" a time zone difference of 4.5 hours. Its sure difficult.

@kk

"Long distance is tough but with good understanding between the couple it surely works"

Very true KK.



What hurts me is that when my partner pulled out saying "You are not the ideal one that I want" after having a long distance relationship of about one year.

I have lost a great deal of time in voice-chatting. Too many sleepless nights and that too jeopardising my professional life.

My partner has walked out of my life now. Now I stand a big loser, both personally and professionally. Heard about "walking on all fours"? Thats exactly how I came out of the relationship after my partner walked out.

Anonymously yours

Sriram said...

Hmm.. By the sound of it, this sounds like within the continental US. That ain't so bad at all. I was in one which was longer. Keyword is "past". Anyhow, good luck with yours.

"edhu nadakkumo, adhu nanraagave nadakkum.. " and all that.

Heidi Kris said...

@ Anonymous, its really bad to hear that happend in your life, but as Sriram said its past now and there is no point in cribbing over someone who cannot reciprocate the love you show towards them. May God give you strength and a very happy future :0)

Anonymous said...

@ Heidikris

Thanks Heidikris. It sure makes me feel positive. Have been following your blog for quite a while too. Never got an opportunity to comment though.



I try as much not to think about the past. Heard about the story "Kuranga ninaikkadha indha marundh-ai saapidum pozhudhu" ??? Thats exactly what I am in now.

Since this "Relationship" didn't work out, I am unhappy that I have cheated my "future spouse". Somebody has taken away the affection that only my spouse was entitled for. Thats one thing that I am not able to digest. To rub salt on one's wounds, there was a time when I used to cut short my chat with my parents in order to chat with my partner. Now, I am double guilty.

Anonymously yours

Kirukal said...

Thanks for all your comments friendly bloggers!
Some of my thoughts to the dialogue going on here...
"You meet a few wrong people before you meet the right one and then you realise the things that you have been missing in the process"
Anonymous, do not feel gulity about having been in a relationship or the sacrifice you made for it.....feel sad yes! but not guilty! these experiences make you a better person....
KK - yes long distance work but it requires a tremendous amount of effort!!!!
The only thing that makes my long distance work is the thought that I willl be together with this person someday and how happy I feel when I am at proximity to him.

Sriram - I totally agree with u "edhu nadakumo athu nanragave nadakum!"

Heidi Kris - I love your positive outlook on life!!!