February 20, 2006

Frozen!!!

Guess what the temperature here was a couple of days ago? - 12 F (that is approx -25C)!!!!!! That is freaking cold for a person from the ovens of Madras!!!! And in this lowest of the low temperatures I had to go pick up a friend from the bus station up at 3.00 am. At this ungodly hour, my car refused to heat up for a good 30 mins...by the time it did, I was back home again with frozen fingers. That was the coldest day of the year I think!
Here's a description of my daily attire in the winter- thermals, sweater, jeans, fleece jacket, winter jacket, gloves, scarf,hat, woolen socks and shoes. I wrap my scarf around my neck and face so only my eyes peep out. Dressing up this way also serves as a good way of finding out who my true friends are! You see.... not many people recognise me if I am dressed this way but my close friends!! This other day, I see a similarly attired guy walking towards me...both of us stop.... stare into each others eyes for what seems eternity till I recoginze him as a close friend! Sometimes I even wave to people who I don't know but assume it's somebody familar!!! Good time to make new friends too!
One good thing about dressing this way is you can keep wearing the same clothes inside everyday and nobody (but the people who work with you) know! Same black jacket every single day..but I pep myself with 3 different glove, scarf, hat sets to mix n match - purple, blue and black!

Also not to forget the many falls I have slipping on the ice...thankfully nothing hurt till now except my ego when from "well wishers" call out to me to walk carefully everytime they see me!
Last but not the least, here are a few tips to survive a cold winter (and also not to look stupid in the process):
  1. Never over estimate your capacity...especially you guys who think it is macho to wear nothing but a cotton shirt when its freezing. We girls do not think its macho, we just think that you are too cheap to buy a winter jacket!
  2. Take baby steps on the ice.......better to look like a vaathu walking on the streets than to lie splatterred like a pushnikkai!
  3. Do not use your umbrella when it snows...it looks stupid!
  4. Do not wear a monkey cap too for the same reason.
  5. Find a good friend who will be ready to make you bajjis and tea when you are on the way home from a rough cold day (this is the best remedy for the winter)
  6. If a friend calls you for the same favour, say that you have been stranded in the lab due to the snow ......go to her place after an hour..she will most probably have the bajjis ready by then.
  7. Have 2 jobs - one down south where you can go during winter.
  8. Alternatively have 2 wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands - preferably one of them stationed somewhere warm, so you can visit them every weekend or when it gets too cold!
  9. Hibernate from Nov to March.

4 comments:

logic said...

Hey that was really a good stuff of info's kirukal.
I live in the countries worst climate zone..Minnesota.
Each and every line made lots of sense to me..
Eppa waiting for April to blossom..

Glove,jacket etc etc ellathyum cremate pannanum

and feeling proud to give my first comment here, from one other soul suffering from wintertime's.

neighbour said...

yeppo!! naan parava illai da saami...

I am in Washington state.. In seattle it snow rarely just 2 days in winter..
FYI here office will be leave if snow settle for 3 inch in road..
temperature toggle b/n -5 to 5.. But ingayum oru problem iruku paa.. its always raining here.. konjan nenanjamuna poodhum seenu thaan ... It wont dry up...

On thanks giving day we made a trip to Crater lake in Oregan state.. annaiku thaan naan first time snow parthen.. chumma aaatum pootum... what ever u says is really true.. appadiyaaa rathum uranchirchu... the altitude we were on is arond 8000 ft..
Roja padam parkara effectu thaan irundhuchu... Its really a nice time...

here we just wear one Jacket thats all... evalavu costume pootitu eppadi unganaala nadaka mudiyadhu....


If a friend calls you for the same favour, say that you have been stranded in the lab due to the snow ......go to her place after an hour..she will most probably have the bajjis ready by then. idhu nalla irukaae... unga friendum namma orruthaanae..

Kavitha Jay said...

WINTER...in simple words hate it...only 4 months summer...rest all winter:(((...kadavle..its worse here pa...i hate going out these days...yesterday the temp here was -25...yea as u said..hibernation is what i am doing..except when i go to uni and work:)..

kuttichuvaru said...

frm ur description, seems like u r in Minnesota or Dakota!!! Well, I was in Detroit for 3 yrs.... now I am in Baltimore..... its better here, but still a few days in the winter are horrible..... gud luck for the vaathu walk ;-)